- Certificate Request was created on your IIS server
- CSR was generated in your browser during the Certificate activation
Certificate Request was created on your IIS server
After the certificate is activated, validated and issued, it needs to be installed by completing the request generated previously with the file received from the Certificate Authority. The process is described below:
- Download the certificate in PKCS#7 format in your SSLs.com account and upload it to the server. The certificate can be also downloaded from the email received from the CA. Please unzip the archive and find the .p7b/.cer certificate file there.
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and double-click on the Server Certificates icon.
Then click on Complete Certificate Request in the Actions section:
- On the next screen it is necessary to fill in three fields:
1) File name containing the certification authority’s response – full path to the .p7b or .cer certificate file received from the Certificate Authority. It can be found the file system by clicking on “…” button;
2) Friendly name – general name for a certain certificate request. The domain name should be specified here to avoid confusion with other requests;
3) Select a certificate store for the new certificate – select Personal from the drop-down menu.Once all fields are filled, click Ok. Now the certificate will appear in the Server Certificates storage.
- After that, it is necessary to create a binding for the website to be available via HTTPS. Go to the Sites folder in the Connections section in the left part of the screen and double-click on the necessary website:
- In the right corner of the screen, click on the Bindings button in the Actions section. In the new Site Bindings window, click Add…
- Fill in the following fields in the Add Site Binding menu:
1) Type – select https from the drop-down.
2) IP address – choose All Unassigned or choose IP address from the drop-down.
3) Port – specify a custom port number for secured connection, or use the default port 443.
4) SSL certificate – select the completed certificate request by its friendly name.It is recommended to check the Require Server Name Indication box as it allows multiple SSL certificates to be installed on the server. Once all the necessary information is specified, click Ok.A new binding will appear in the Site Bindings section.
- Now the website should be available via HTTPS. You can check if it is installed correctly here.
CSR was generated in your browser during the Certificate activation
If you choose the “Auto-activate” option during SSL activation, your CSR and Private key files will be generated in Step 2 (Generate key).
The CSR code is then submitted to the Certificate Authority to obtain the SSL files. You should save the Private key code to your computer for future use.
In this case, the SSL installation process will be reduced to the following steps:
- Retrieve Private key file from your PC.
- Download issued certificate in your account.
- Convert certificates into PFX file and import it on the server
Check your SSL installation using this tool.